Friday, April 13, 2012

Lucky 13

So, I started writing a very fun post about fun accessories for little girls and how addicting the shopping can be when there are so many options. That process started early afternoon, and I am going to shelve it for a while to address the "ominous qualities" of today. Most people have probably noticed that today is Friday the 13th. Thirteen has always been my lucky number, jersey number in high school, and Friday the 13th holds a special place in my heart.
Three years ago my boyfriend at the time (now my husband, so don't think I'm talking about some other guy!), took me out on a date. It was the night before Valentine's day which is not one of my most favorite days, and he had to work at a restaurant Valentine's night anyway. So alas, we joined the masses of people celebrating nothing in particular and headed off to the movies. What was on the docket? "He's Just not That into You", perfect date night movie right? To start our pre-movie super duper fun we went to Cici's Pizza for dinner first. Yes, we're talking $5.99 per person pizza, salad, and dessert. Again, super duper date night!
For some reason I wasn't in the best of moods, the movie was funny, the pizza was surprisingly good, and I was with a fabulous guy for the evening. We had been in the process of building a house in the area and Kyle asked me if I would go take a look at the progress with him. We arrived at the lot and there was no progress...needless to say, my night didn't get much better. I wanted to stay in the car, he asked me (several times) to get out. We walked around the lot and he started talking about all of the amazing memories we would create here, "on this dirt". My mood started to lift a little. Then, Kyle looked at me and said, "Let's start now". Me, (being me), said, "what are you talking about?" As I turned to look at him, I realized he was down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I am pretty sure the next words out of my mouth were, "are you serious?"
Of course, I said "YES"  and my night was remarkably better. That started my 15 month whirlwind of wedding planning and graduating college. I graduated on May 14th and was married May 22nd. We moved into our new house and spend the first night June 22nd....No, it was not the same house he proposed to me at. That builder had some "issues" and we found a fabulous house in Durham, NC.
So 13 has always been a lucky number for me, and I always get slightly giddy when Friday the 13th comes around.
This year, this April....April 12th was one of those days where bad things came in threes. First, I took my favorite cat "Teaser" to the vet because one of his main canine teeth (big top one) had just fallen out on the dining room floor. Vet tells me he needs to have jaw surgery and might have a bone disease.

 Fantastic...there went just about $1,000 of our tax refund. Speaking of tax refunds that brings us to number 2; our return was rejected. Why? I had typed Abby's SS# wrong so it delayed our return direct deposit by 2 days. Needless to say, that kind of hurt paying for the cat's surgery. Number three you ask? I was leaving Kyle's softball game (where I learned of the refund situation) and started hearing this "thump thump" noise when I moved. Sure enough I had picked up a bolt...a nice BIG ~3" long .75" diameter bolt screw side up into my tire. The car is 6 weeks old...20" tires....I practically started crying.
I knew that all of this would "come to face" today, and given my history I had luck on my side. How did it all turn out? Teaser had his surgery, 8 teeth removed, and a lot of other "things" done I won't get into. Sure it cost $990, but I don't have pets for any reason less than another member of the family. I have had this cat since he was 2 weeks old, I bottle fed him, and he is a total mama's boy. It was well worth it to have him healthy and pain free. Next, we had brought the car to the dealer expecting to shell out somewhere around $350 for a new tire...and they were able to FIX the hole for $20!!!!
Once again Friday the 13th is my "lucky day"!!
Until Next Time....and the next 13th!

Dabble

No comments:

Post a Comment