Saturday, April 7, 2012

Feeding you soul...and your stomach too

Something you should know about me is that I am an amateur foodie. I have all of the passion for fine food and wine, and the creativity to pull together tasty meals, but I lack any formal kind of training. As I mentioned in the previous post, Kyle is going back to school to get a culinary degree. From now on, I will be living vicariously through him and taking full advantage of all of the training he will bring home. I'm not exactly the type of "chef" to follow a cookbook (unless I'm baking), yet I have about 40 of them in my kitchen. I'm more the type that opens the fridge and thinks "what can I make with the random things in here". Personally, I think I would do fantastically on "Chopped".
We are turning weekends in our house into cooking classes. Kyle has the syllabus and I have the "experience". I have to say, I wish my syllabi in college looked like his...I drool when I look at what he is going to make and it's only the first class. All of the students were told to get a "mentor chef" and he asked me if I would be one of his. Major "Awww" moment for me, but maybe he was doing it in part to preserve the balance of our marriage because he knows that I'm (not so secretly) jealous of him taking all of these cooking classes. This weekend it's sauces, next weekend will be soups, and the weekend after that will be everything eggs. We're going to practice what he has coming up, and let's just say I cannot wait for the baking class.
There has to be a Chic Moment for every mom when it comes to the kitchen. Maybe you're not the best cook, that's ok. Maybe you have set a thing or two on fire when it didn't call for it, that's ok too, as long as there were no small children injured in the making of your meal. My new blog related task is to think of a name for these themed weekends related to chic cooking. I love to cook, and I think that it should be accessible to everyone. There is something very satisfying about being able to put a snack, dinner, or any meal on the table for the people you love that you loved making. It's even better when you can make it look effortless!
I'll have a recipe tomorrow for you to drool over, but until then....

Dabble

No comments:

Post a Comment